Guide to Disaster Food Assistance & D-SNAP (updated July 2024)

Leer este artículo en español

Have you been affected by recent storms or severe weather? If you lost food during a weather-related power outage, you might be able to get your food stamps replaced. Don’t wait to apply! Each state has a different deadline.

Keep reading to learn more about eligibility, application deadlines, and how to apply for food benefits and other disaster relief in affected states.

States with active Disaster SNAP waivers:

StateD-SNAP application deadlineHow to apply
IowaJuly 13 (Clay, Emmet, Lyon, Plymouth and Sioux counties)Apply online
New MexicoJuly 17 (Lincoln County and the Mescalero Apache Reservation)Call 1-800-283-4465
OklahomaJuly 18 (Mayes and Rogers counties)Submit this form to a county office
UtahJuly 22 (San Juan County)Call 211
OregonJuly 25 (Deschutes County)Apply online
Texas August 8 (121 counties, full list here)Call 211 (select Option 8) OR fill out Form H1855 and send it to Texas Health and Human Services Commission, P.O. Box 149027, Austin, TX, 78714-9027

What is Disaster SNAP or D-SNAP? What types of disaster assistance are available?

When a natural disaster strikes, your state human services agency works with the federal government to restore services like SNAP benefits. Disaster SNAP (D-SNAP) offers short-term food assistance benefits to families recovering from a disaster. In addition to D-SNAP, your state may allow you to get benefits early, replace benefits used for spoiled or destroyed food, or temporarily buy hot foods with your EBT card.

The federal government may also help you with home repairs, temporary housing, or property damage (appliances, furniture, vehicle, etc), child care, medical, lodging, moving, and funeral expenses.

Who is eligible for disaster assistance or D-SNAP?

To be eligible for disaster food assistance, you must live in a county with an active disaster response. You can check which counties currently have disaster waiver flexibilities to help existing SNAP households in affected areas here.

For other resources, visit to see the list of states where a disaster has been declared for Individual Assistance by FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Select a state to see if your county is in a declared area.

Accepting disaster assistance funds will not affect eligibility for other benefit programs such as Social Security or Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or other federal benefit programs. Also, disaster assistance is not taxable.

Do I need to be enrolled in SNAP to get disaster assistance?

It depends on your state. In some places, people who might not ordinarily qualify for SNAP may be eligible for D-SNAP if they had disaster related expenses, such as property damage, relocation expenses or loss of food from power outages. Check with your local assistance office.

How can I apply?

To replace your food stamps in the event of a weather emergency, call your local 2-1-1 number or contact your county food assistance office.

For other recovery resources like funds for home repairs, property damage, funeral expenses, temporary housing, medical or dental expenses, or child care costs, follow these steps:

  1. Visit and click “Let’s Get Started”
  2. Tell FEMA where you are and about your needs
  3. Create an account or sign into to finish your application

Applications are typically processed in 7-10 business days. If you need help with your application, you can call the FEMA Helpline: 1-800-621-3362, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (in your time zone), 7 days a week.